Home > News > Industry News > Asustek has big smartphone mar.....
Hot Products
New Products
Certifications
DFSGS
Contact us
Contact Now

News

Asustek has big smartphone market in Indonesia

  • Author:Abby
  • Release on :2015-11-21

Asustek Computer launched ZenFone-series smartphones in the Indonesia market in 2014 and has cumulatively sold five million units, company CEO Jerry Shen said at an event to unveil ZenFone smartphones in Jakarta, Indonesia, on November 19.

Including Indonesia, Asustek has cumulatively sold 13 million ZenFone smartphones in the Southeast Asia market, Shen said.

Asustek unveiled the ZenFone 2 Deluxe Special Edition for launch in the Indonesia market at a recommended contract-free retail price of IDR5.999 million (US$434), ZenFone Max at IDR2.499 million, ZenFone 2 Laser at IDR2.099 million for the 5-inch version, IDR2.399 million for the 5.5-inch version and IDR3.499 million for the 6-inch version, ZenFone Selfie at IDR2.799 million for the 3GB RAM version and IDR2.999 million for the 4GB RAM version.

Asustek expects to ship 20.5 million ZenFone smartphones globally in 2015 and aims to ship 30 million units, not including any sold in the China market, in 2016.

For the Indonesia market in particular, Asustek currently has local makers undertake OEM production, but due to increasing sales and an aim for better quality, will have Taiwan-based ODM Arima Communications produce ZenFone beginning 2016 at its factory in Indonesia, Shen indicated.

Arima is setting up a handset factory in Indonesia on a joint venture basis with local handset retail channel Tiphone Mobile with an investment of US$50 million. With initial monthly production capacity of 300,000 handsets and production to begin in early 2016, the factory will produce Tiphone's own-brand handsets as well as smartphones for Asustek, Sony Mobile Communications, LG Electronics and other international vendors.

Asustek adopts Intel- and Qualcomm-developed platforms for 80% of ZenFone smartphones launched in 2015 and MediaTek-developed ones for the remaining 20%. For ZenFones to be launched in 2016, Asustek will adopt Intel platforms for high-end models only and MediaTek's for about 20% of total shipments, with the shipment proportion for Qualcomm to be higher than that in 2015.

.